Child Custody and Visitation

It is hard to be away from the child you love. Perhaps this is why many couples find easier to agree on division of assets during their divorce than it is to agree on division of time with the children.

In New Jersey, child custody arrangements are determined by the court based on the child’s best interests. However, a judge will usually approve any fair agreement that has been negotiated and agreed to by both parents as long as the plan takes the child’s needs into account.

In most cases, parents choose joint custody. This means that the child spends time living with each parent and both parents make important decisions regarding the child’s health, education and well-being. However, there are times when sole physical custody is the best option.

Sole custody may be the best option if parents live far from each other, a parent frequently travels, or there is risk of neglect or abuse. If sole physical custody is awarded, visitation arrangements may be required to allow the non-custodial parent to spend time with the child.  Your child’s visitation schedule will depend on your family’s unique circumstances.

Visitation rights of non-custodial parents

You love your child. If it were possible, you’d spend as much time together as possible. However, life gets in the way: you may work in another state, you may have a job that requires travel, or you may have a medical condition that limits your ability to care for your child. These conditions shouldn’t prevent you from spending time with your child.

Melinda M. Previtera knows that there is no one-size-fits-all child custody solution and sometimes creativity is required. She can help you and your ex to create a schedule that takes your needs and your child’s schedule into account. Call (856) 942-0150 to schedule a consultation with Child Custody and Visitation Attorney Melinda M. Previtera.

Visitation rights of non-biological parents

You and your partner raised her biological child together. Now that you are no longer together, you have questions about your right to visitation. New Jersey law recognizes non-biological parents’ rights. You may be able to request visitation if maintaining your relationship is in the child’s best interests. To learn more, contact Melinda M. Previtera at (856) 942-0150.

Find a Child Custody and Visitation Arrangement that Works for You

Your child’s well-being is your top priority. Melinda M. Previtera, Attorney at Law has the experience and legal know-how to help you and your ex find the child custody and visitation solution that works best for your family. If your needs change, Melinda M. Previtera can help you modify your custody arrangement to fit the new circumstances. To discuss your possibilities with a Child Custody and Visitation Attorney, please call (856) 942-0150.